Comments, compliments, complaints
Your guide to making a comment, compliment or complaint
Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
We are experiencing some interruption to complaints and feedback processes due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation
This may mean that we may not be able to respond to your complaint within the usual timeframes set out below.
In line with government guidance, the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman is not currently accepting new complaints. They will accept complaints again when the government guidance changes.
You can find the most up-to-date information at www.lgo.org.uk or by listening to the recorded message on 0300 061 0614.
See further information about changes to services.
We are always looking to improve our services; If you have a comment, compliment or complaint let us know.
Any comment, good or bad, helps us to understand what people do and don’t like about our services and how we can make them better in the future.
Tell us about your compliment, comment or complaint.
Comments and suggestions
If you have comments or suggestions about how our services could be improved, we would like to hear them and will always acknowledge and pass them to the relevant service.
Our staff welcome compliments and we appreciate being told when we are doing things right. We will acknowledge any compliments and make sure they are passed to the relevant people.
A complaint is a way to let us know if you are not happy with some aspect of our service. It is helpful if you explain why you are unhappy and what you think should be done to resolve the problem. We will investigate and try to put things right where we can.
In the first instance please contact the service concerned as they may be able to remedy your concern quickly and avoid you having to go through the formal complaints process.
If your complaint is about social care services (adults or children’s) there are different complaints processes.
How we deal with complaints
Generally we do not investigate complaints about something you knew about more than 12 months before contacting us for the first time. We undertake to:
- let you know we have received your complaint within 3 working days
- let you know who will be handling your complaint and make sure we understand what you complaint is about
- find out what you want to happen to put things right
- investigate and respond to you within 20 working days
- let you know if we need more time to investigate your complaint and when we hope to provide a final response
- apologise if we find we have failed to provide the level of service you should expect and look to put things right
- welcome your view of what needs to be done to resolve any problem
- arrange for a review of your complaint if you remain unhappy and aim to respond to you within 15 working days
If things are still not right
You can refer your complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman who will carry out an independent review.
Please note the LGSCO will not normally accept a complaint which has not been considered under the Council’s complaint process first.
To make a complaint to the Ombudsman:
- Go to www.lgo.org.uk
- Call 0300 061 0614
- Text phone users using Next Generation Text can text call back to 0762 481 1595
If you are a council tenant complaining about your housing you need to go to the housing ombudsman
The following services have a separate process for comments, compliments and complaints.