Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Careline and Telecare Services Privacy Notice

The Careline and Telecare Services team consists of Carline Operators and Telecare Installers. Carline Operators answer calls from customers and Telecare Installers install telecare equipment in people’s homes.

This page explains how your information will be held about you and processed by Careline and Telecare Services. 

You can also find out about the General Data Protection Regulations and Data Protection Act 2018 and your rights on the Council’s main privacy web page. 

This page contains information about:

  • Who we are
  • Why we collect your personal information
  • The legal basis for using your information
  • Who we may share your information with
  • How you can access the information we hold about you
  • How long we keep information about you
  • Further information and Data Protection Officer

Who we are

BCP Council will be the Data Controller for the personal information you provide. Personal information can be anything that identifies and relates to a living person. This could be your name and contact details. As the Data Controller BCP Council, will use your information to provide you with our services and services from our contractors. 

Why we collect your personal information

We will collect enough personal information in order to provide you with services for the following purposes.

We hold names, dates of birth, and information about your health to be able to respond to any requests for help that we receive from you for assistance. We will also hold the names and contact details of those people that we contact on your behalf in an emergency.

We hold contact details for you so we can communicate with you by your preferred means, and keep you informed about services we offer which may be useful to you. We will also use this information to contact you so that we can arrange for services to be provided to you for example, testing of equipment that we have provided to you.

We record information about your needs (for example if you have a carer or social worker or if you need large print or translated text) to ensure that we take account of any support needs in our dealings with you, and to improve our communications with you.

We keep financial records about the amount of money you have paid us; any amount(s) outstanding, action taken to recover money you owe and any reasons that you have told us about why you owe money. This may include other financial details that we have obtained from you so that we can make sure that you receive appropriate advice.

We may hold information about you if you are engaged with support services. For example, if we receive a referral for an assessment from us from someone involved in your care or support.

We may hold information about you if it is needed to ensure the health and safety of our staff, for example of you have a conviction for a violent offence or have been abusive or threatening towards our staff.

We may record your telephone calls to us for training and monitoring purposes to ensure we’re delivering a good service. Any call recordings will be held in accordance with our corporate retention policy before being erased.

We may capture your image on our CCTV systems if you visit a property, office or community facility which is covered by this facility. Any CCTV recordings will be held in accordance with our corporate retention policy before being erased.

We record the findings of surveys and other research to help us improve our service to customers. The information you provide will be anonymous unless you agree that we can use your details.

We may take photographs at events organised and hosted by us. The images would be used on our websites, in brochures and other publicity material (such as newsletters) and may be provided to the media for publication in local or national newspapers.

You will always be given the option not to be included in a photograph.

Where group shots are to be taken, there will be a sign warning that photographs are being taken and any individual photographs will only be taken with your consent in writing.

This list is not exhaustive, as we hold records of most contacts we have with you, or about you, and we process this information so we can deliver services to you.

Generally, the information we hold will have been provided by you (on application or enquiry forms or when we communicate with you), but we may also hold information provided by third parties where this is relevant to your needs, for example, from social workers and health professionals (such as doctors and occupational therapists).

We will only ask for personal information that is appropriate to enable us to deliver our services. In some cases, you can refuse to provide your details if you deem a request to be inappropriate. However, you should note that this may impact our ability to provide some services to you if you refuse to provide information that stops us from doing so.

We are not permitted to collect information we do not need or will not use. This page covers information you have provided direct to the Council and information which has been shared with us by other organisations.

If we don’t need your personal information we will either keep your details anonymous, if we already have it for another service or we won’t ask you for it. If we use your personal information for research or analysis, we will always keep your details anonymous or use a fake name.

We don’t sell your personal information to anyone else.

The legal basis for using your information 

According to the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 1998, we must have a reason to collect and use your information.

This will be:

  • To deliver services and support you
  • To enable us to manage the services we provide
  • To train and manage our workers who deliver those services
  • To investigate any worries or complaints you may have about our goods or services
  • To check the quality of our goods and services
  • To help with research and planning of new services.

There are a number of legal reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. For this service:

  • Contract: you have entered into a contract with us for example a tenancy agreement.
  • Legal obligation: it is required by law (for example The Care Act 2014)
  • Vital interests: the processing is necessary to protect someone’s life or protect them from harm.
  • Public task: the processing is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law.
  • Consent: you, or your legal representative, have given explicit consent.

Our service also needs to use sensitive personal data also called “special category data” which requires more protection to keep it safe. This is often information you would not want to be widely known and is very personal to you. It includes:-

  • Sexuality or sexual heath
  • Religious or spiritual or philosophical beliefs
  • Ethnicity
  • Physical or mental health
  • Criminal history

We will take extra care of this data. The legal reason for us to collect and use this personal information is:

  • you, or your legal representative, have given explicit consent
  • it is necessary to perform our statutory duties or it is required by law (The Care Act 2014) or it is necessary for employment purposes
  • it is necessary to protect someone in an emergency
  • you have made your information publicly available 
  • it is necessary for legal cases
  • it is to the benefit of society as a whole
  • it is necessary to deliver health or social care services or it is necessary to protect public health
  • it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes

Who we may share your information with

We use a range of organisations to either store personal information or to help deliver our services to you. Sometimes we have a legal duty to provide your personal information to other organisations, for example the court service or HMRC.

We may also share your personal information with these organisations

  • Other Local Government departments including those in other Councils: Housing and Customer Services, Revenue and Benefits, Regulatory Services, Legal Services, Adult Social Care, Childrens Social Care, Safeguarding, Financial Services, Drug and Alcohol Statutory Team, Commissioning Services, Technical Services.
  • Central and Regional Government Departments
  • Healthcare Providers
  • Social and Welfare Advisers or Practitioners
  • Dorset Healthcare University Foundation Trust
  • National Health Service
  • The Police and Criminal Justice System: National Probation Service, Community Rehabilitation Company, Dorset Police
  • Benefits Agency: Department of Work and Pensions
  • HM Customs and Revenue
  • Immigration Services
  • Housing Associations
  • Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service
  • Contracted Service Providers, for example those who provide and carry out maintenance to our call monitoring systems.

Your information will not be disclosed to any other organisations, except where we are required and allowed to by law. 

We may seek your consent if we are able to offer additional services which we believe are of benefit to you. This will be clearly communicated to you. We will only share your details with these organisations if we have your consent. We will not share your information otherwise.

Accessing the information we hold about you

You have the right to request, in writing, details of the information that is held about you and also the right to access a copy of the information. This may be by the Council providing copies of documents or by inviting you to view the records at one of its offices, if appropriate. Please see our webpage for further information about how to make a subject access request.

BCP Council will not charge a fee to access your information. Sometimes there may be information that we are not allowed to show you, such as:

  • legal information or advice
  • crime prevention and detection records
  • information that we believe may be harmful to you and your well-being
  • details about or provided by other people. This is called third party information (For example, information from the Police or Department for Work and Pensions)

You may also ask us to

  • stop processing your information if this causes or might cause damage or distress
  • stop processing your information for direct marketing
  • make decisions about you using your information by automated means (For example, using computers to decide on an entitlement)
  • amend any of your data which you feel is inaccurate. You can also ask for information to be blocked, erased or destroyed.
  • transfer your information electronically to another service provider.
  • consider a claim for compensation for any damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations.

If you give consent for us to use your information, you may withdraw this at any time. However, this may affect our ability to continue to provide you with a service.

How long we keep information about you

We will retain this information for 7 years as stated in our retention schedule and in accordance with The Limitation Act 1980.

Further information

If you have a concern about how we are using your information, we would ask you to contact us in the first instance using the address below: 

23/25 Knole Road



Data Protection Officer

If you are not satisfied with a response to your concerns from the Service, our Data Protection Officer Vivian Bateman, can review any issues regarding Information Rights legislation if necessary. The Data Protection Officer can be contacted at the address below:

Data Protection Officer
BCP Information Governance Team
BCP Council
Town Hall
BH2 6DY 


Information Commissioner

For further information about Information Rights legislation, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at or by telephone 0303 123 1113 

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.