Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) has been in force since 1 January 2005 and we are committed to providing the public with as much information as possible.

Can I see all information held by the council?

You can ask to see any information that the council holds, however some information may be subject to exemptions. There are 23 exemptions under the FOIA, some are absolute - meaning that no information can be released, and others are conditional - which means that the disclosure of the information should be weighed against the public interest test. If you would like to find out more information about the exemptions please view the Information Commissioners Office

Individuals have the right to access information held about themselves under the Data Protection Act.

What information is already available?

Under Section 19 of the Freedom of Information Act every public authority is obliged to have in place a publication scheme. The scheme commits us to proactively publish information and make it accessible to members of the public. 

Find out more about information we publish as part of our commitment to transparency.

Make an FOIA request to BCP Council 

To make an FOIA request to BCP council you will need to email us directly. Please try and be as specific as possible when requesting information and include the following information in writing:

  • contact name
  • contact email address (or postal address if you do not have email)
  • the information you seek including time periods where applicable
  • the format of the information that you would prefer

Make an FOIA request to The Dorset Waste Partnership

To make an FOIA request regarding Dorset Waste Partnership, you will have to email Dorset  Council who handle these requests.

Will there be a cost?

The majority of requests are free however there may be charges if the request takes over 18 hours work to compile or for photocopying charges.. If you want to use the information for commercial gain please view the Public Sector Information(PSI) regulations.

How do I appeal or make a complaint?

If you are not happy with the way your freedom of information request has been dealt with, you can ask the relevant council in writing to carry out an internal review.  If you are still not satisfied with the outcome, you can complain to the Information Commissioner

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.