Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Data protection

How we comply with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and how you can obtain details of personal information we hold about you.  

What is personal data?

Personal data is information that can be used to identify a living individual. That information can be in a variety of formats. For example, electronic on a computer, paper in a filing system or in more unusual formats such as CCTV footage.

Why do we collect data about people?

We need to collect personal data to fulfil our functions in relation to the provision of our services (social care, education, environmental services, highways, planning, housing, benefits, licensing etc).

What principles apply to the collection of personal data?

There are six governing principles that must be followed in relation to the processing of data about individuals:

  • data must be processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner
  • data must be collected and processed for only specific, explicit and legitimate purposes. In other words, we must not collect data for one reason and then use it for something else
  • data we hold must be adequate and relevant for its purpose or purposes but not excessive.
  • data must be accurate, kept up-to-date and where necessary, erased or rectified in respect of inaccuracies
  • we must not keep data for longer than necessary
  • data must be kept in a manner that ensures appropriate security, including against unauthorised or unlawful access/processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage

What rights do I have regarding information that is held about me?

As a Data Subject you have the following rights:

  • the right to be informed – you have the right to be given information about how your data is being processed, who it is/will be shared with, for what purpose and how long it will be retained for
  • the right of access – you have the right to see or have a copy of your personal data.  If providing you with a copy of your personal data would adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others, an extract or summary of the information may be provided instead
  • the right to rectification – you have the right to request that your personal data is rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete
  • the right to erasure (‘the right to be forgotten’) – you have the right to request that your personal data is removed to prevent processing in certain circumstances
  • the right to restrict processing – you have the right to block or stop processing of your personal data
  • the right to data portability – you have the right, when requested, to be provided with your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format
  • the right to object – you have the right to object to processing of your personal data in relation to legitimate interests, direct marketing (e.g. profiling) or for scientific/historical research and statistics
  • rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling – you have the right to not be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which significantly affects you

How do I obtain information about me?

You must make a Subject Access Request (SAR) in writing. Further information on submitting a SAR can be found on the Information Commissioners Office website.


Make a Subject Access Request to BCP Council

Make a Subject Access Request

You may need proof of identity in order for us to complete the request.

If you want to know more information about how your data is being processed (right to be informed) please contact us.

Privacy Notices

See the Privacy Notices for BCP council and our services:

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.