Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Supporting the Armed Forces

We work with the military to boost the benefits of the Armed Forces in Christchurch.

We work together as the Dorset Military Civilian Integration Sponsor Group. It is a forum for us and the military to:

  • respond to any military changes taking place in the county

  • measure and develop the economic contribution of the military to Christchurch

  • embrace the skills offered by military personnel and their families

  • adapt services to meet the changing needs of the military and their families

  • spot opportunities for regeneration and attracting businesses to the area

  • contribute to building sustainable communities

  • ensure Dorset remains an attractive location for long term investment by the MOD

Support for veterans and their families

Veterans, their families and carers can get to lots of different types of support.

A veterans is as anyone who has served for at least one day:

  • in HM Armed Forces (Regular or Reserve)

  • as a Merchant Navy Seafarers

  • as a Fishermen who have served in a vessel whilst it helped military operations by HM Armed Forces

Recent leavers

Service leavers should have had a copy of the Service Leavers Guide from Veterans UK. The guide is full of helpful advice.

You can also contact the free Veterans Helpline on 0808 1914218.

Serving members

Serving members should contact their Unit Welfare Officer for advice.

Childcare support

Find out more about childcare support.

Education, learning and job support

You can:

Finance and welfare support

You can:

Other financial support:

The Rewards for Forces discount scheme offer discounts from lots of retailers and services.


Pensions support:

Healthcare support

On leaving the Armed Forces, you will need to register with your local NHS GP.
Make sure that your GP knows what they need to about your current health. You should have a record of your health history given to you on discharge. You should have details about how your GP can get your medical records.

If you have a health problem that you think relates to your service, you may wish to raise this with your GP. They may be able to get you a faster referral for any hospital care you may need. This will be subject to the clinical needs of others.

NHS Healthcare gives advice for military personnel and veterans. Their advice includes getting treatment, contacts and rehabilitation.

Other health support:

Get advice and information about adult social care and support services in Christchurch. It includes:

  • support at home

  • help for carers

  • housing options

  • healthy eating

  • smoking

  • NHS health checks

Charity for vision-impaired ex-Service people.

Find details of the help for victims of domestic abuse and violence.

Dorset has a range of services to help those affected by substance misuse.

Dorset Healthcare offers holistic care for people who are approaching death. The also help people to live as well as possible until they die and support family and carers.

Hidden Wounds is a free and psychological wellbeing service. It helps veterans and their families to manage the challenges of living with anxiety, depression and stress. Support is available by phone, Skype and face to face.

Mental wellbeing

Being on active service can lead to mental health problems. Issues can occur some time after discharge. Services that can help:

Steps to Wellbeing is a free confidential service for people aged 18+. There are a range of treatments for people experiencing depression and anxiety.

Combat Stress offers support to ex-service men people on mental health issues. Including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression, and anxiety.

The Big White Wall is a safe 24/7 online community of people who are anxious, down or not coping. They support and help by sharing their troubles, guided by trained professionals.


Find out more about housing support.

External funding and grants manager

Name: Laura Cornette
Tel: 01305 224306
Full details for External funding and grants manager

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.