Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Apply for a dropped kerb

Dropped kerbs allow for vehicles to cross the public pavement to get to a private driveway.

If you want to cross the pavement to access your property, you must get a dropped kerb. You are not permitted to drive over a pavement which has not been constructed for that purpose.

We provide a quotation and construction service if you need to drop the kerb outside your property to access your land or driveway.  

How much it costs

The initial site inspection costs £110. If your application is refused, you decide to use your own contractor or do not to go ahead with the job we cannot refund the £110 inspection fee.

Before you apply

Before applying, you should read about the restrictions of having a dropped kerb installed. You may also need planning permission if:

  • your driveway is on a main road
  • you are creating a new driveway by resurfacing a garden
  • your property is a listed building

Apply for a dropped kerb

To apply, please complete our dropped kerb application form so we can inspect the driveway.


The application fee is £110 (payable on application - non refundable) 

What happens next

We will visit your property to establish if you’re eligible for this service and provide a quote.

If you decide to arrange for your own contractor to carry out the work they will need to be a Streetworks accredited contractor. They they will need to apply for S171 licence to work on the highway.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.