Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Special events on the highway

A special event is an event which is larger than a street party, such as a carnival or street fair.

Before you start

You should read the guidance for event organisers:


You need to consult with all stakeholders that would be affected by the restriction.

Download a consultation exercise document.

The list of consultees must include:

  • locally affected residents and businesses
  • town and parish councils
  • all emergency services
  • Local Authority services (recycling and rubbish collections, school transport etc.)
  • operators of affected bus services
  • taxi operators
  • affected land owners and farmers

All frontages on the road to be restricted, both residential and commercial, must be individually informed in writing, and any substantial objections should be resolved by the applicant. Any unresolved objections are likely to result in the application being refused.

A copy of the notification to all frontages must be included with your application.

You'll need to provide an emergency contact name and phone number in your application which will be given to all complainants/enquirers as necessary.

Apply for a road restriction for a special event

You must apply at least 13 weeks before the event is due to take place.

You can also enquire about events on the highway.


The charges vary depending on the scale (based upon all those involved in your event including organisers, those working for it, visitors/guests, spectators) and the type of event.

Please note that there is no charge applied for road closures for services of Remembrance during the month of November.

Type of eventSmall scale event (less than 499 people)Minor scale event (500 to 999 people)Significant scale event (1000 to 4999 people)Major scale event (more than 5000 people)
Commercial profit making £175 £250 £325 £375
Non-profit making £75 £140 £175 £225
Charitable or ceremonial £25 £75



Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.