Submit a planning application - Christchurch
Planning application process flowchart
We are committed to engagement and consultation on planning applications in line with legal requirements. The flowchart shows the planning application process and opportunities for the public and councillors to comment on planning applications during the statutory period of consultation. We also encourage agents and developers to engage in pre-application discussion with the public before applications are submitted to us.
Before you apply
It helps to include everything that we require with your application. If you don’t, we will need to contact you to request missing items which will delay your application.
See our planning advice note on validation requirements for details of the national and local validation requirements.
If your proposal will affect a listed building, conservation area or other heritage asset you will need to submit a heritage statement. See our heritage statement guidance note for details of what you need to consider and include in your statement.
Submit your application, plans and supporting documents
You can start an online application on the Planning Portal or you can download a paper form on the Planning Portal.
You need to submit the plans, supporting documents and pay the fee at the same time as you submit your form. Any plans submitted online or by email need to be in PDF format.
If making a paper application you need to send two copies of the paper form, plans and supporting documents and post to the BCP Council office for the town that the application site is located in. We need to scan your documents when we get them. Please don't have them bound or put them in plastic covers.
The Planning Portal have a guide to the fees for planning applications, and a planning application fee calculator.
If you use the Planning Portal to submit your application, you must pay your fee to them when you make your application. You can pay them with a credit or debit card when you apply online or over the phone by contacting the Planning Portal directly. It is also possible to pay by cheque or bank transfer. Please note that your application will not be released to us until after any application fee has been paid and the Planning Portal also include a service fee.
If you are submitting a paper application form you will need to pay us directly.
Find out if your proposed development is subject to developer contributions.
You can find the validation checklist for your planning application below. The checklist will tell you what you need to send us to make sure your application gets dealt with correctly.
If you're not sure which checklist you need, you should find the application you need on the Planning Portal. You should use the checklist with the same name.
- Householder planning permission for works or extension to a dwelling
- Householder planning permission for works or extension to a dwelling and listed building consent
- Householder planning permission for works or extension to a dwelling and for relevant demolition in a conservation area
- Prior approval of a proposed larger home extension
- Planning permission
- Planning permission and listed building consent
- Planning permission and for relevant demolition in a conservation area
- Removal or variation of condition and minor material amendments following grant of planning permission (s.73 application)
- Non-material amendment following a grant of planning permission
- Application for approval of details reserved by condition
- Outline permission with some matters reserved
- Outline permission with all matters reserved
- Reserved matters following outline approval
- Listed building consent for alterations, extension or demolition of a listed building
- Relevant demolition in a conservation area
- Lawful development certificate for proposed use or development
- Lawful development certificate for proposed works to a listed building
- Lawful development certificate for an existing use or operation
- Consent to display an advertisement
- Works to trees subject to a tree preservation order (TPO) and/or notification of proposed works to trees in a conservation area
- Hedgerow removal notice
- Permission in principle
- Technical details consent following a grant of permission in principle
- Prior approval of a proposed change of use of a building from office (B1) Use to a use falling within use class C3 (dwellinghouses)
- Prior approval of a proposed change of use of a building from retail (A1 or A2) Use or a mixed retail and residential Use to a use falling within use class C3 (dwellinghouses), and for associated operational development
- Prior approval for a change of use from storage or distribution buildings (class B8) and any land within its curtilage to dwellinghouses (class C3)
- Prior approval for a change of use from amusement arcades/centres and casinos, (sui generis uses) and any land within its curtilage to dwellinghouses (class C3)
- Prior approval for a change of use from shops (class A1), financial and professional services (class A2), betting offices, pay day loan shops and casinos (sui generis) to restaurants and cafes (class A3)
- Prior approval of a proposed change of use to state-funded school or registered nursery
- Prior approval of a proposed demolition
- Prior approval of proposed development by telecommunications code systems operators
- Prior approval for the installation, alteration or replacement of other Solar photovoltaics (PV) equipment on the roofs of non-domestic buildings, up to a capacity of 1 megawatt
- Prior approval for a development consisting of the erection or construction of a collection facility within the curtilage of a shop
- Prior approval for the temporary use of buildings or land for the purpose of commercial film-making and the associated temporary structures, works, plant or machinery required in connection with that use
- Prior approval of a proposed change of an agricultural building to a dwellinghouse (use class C3), and for associated operational development
- Prior approval of a proposed change of an agricultural building to a flexible use within shops, financial and professional services, restaurants and cafes, business, storage or distribution, hotels, or assembly and leisure
- Prior approval of a proposed change of an agricultural building to a state-funded school or registered nursery
- Prior approval of agricultural or forestry development – excavation/waste material
- Prior approval of agricultural or forestry development – fish tank (cage)
- Prior approval of agricultural or forestry development – proposed building
- Prior approval of agricultural or forestry development – proposed road