When you do not need approval
Find out what types of buildings and which types of building works are exempt.
Work that does not need approval
- minor repairs, maintenance work and replacing less than 25% of an element (roof, wall or floor) like for like
- additional power points or lighting points and switches (except around baths and showers)
- alterations to existing circuits (except around baths and showers)
- like for like replacements of baths, toilets, basins or sinks
- boundary or garden walls, fences and gates - find out more on the Planning Portal
Buildings that do not require approval
- detached buildings, with floor areas that do not exceed 15m2 and contain no sleeping accommodation
- detached single storey buildings, including garages, that are:
- less than 30m2 floor area
- at least one metre from any boundary unless constructed of non-combustible materials
- an extension to a building at ground level consisting of:
- a porch of less than 30m2 floor area and separated from the house by an external type door
- a carport open on at least two sides that is less that 30m2 floor area
- a covered yard or way to the house less than 30m2 floor area
- a conservatory that is:
- of substantially clear/translucent material (You must use safety glass in critical locations)
- separated from the house by external quality door(s)
- less that 30m2 floor area
Find out more about exemptions from building regulations on the Planning Portal
If you are still unsure
Find out more about the difference between Planning and Building Control.
Apply for confirmation of exemption
If you are not certain that your works are exempt you can submit a proposal form to Building Control for advice. This exemption only count for Building Regulations, you will need a separate exemption from Planning too.
Submit a paper request
Download a printable version of the Building Control confirmation of exemption form once completed you can submit your form to the relevant authority.
If you are not exempt
If you need approval you can either:
If you hire a competent person to do the work on your behalf, you do not need to apply for approval yourself.
Penalties and problems
Find out what happens if you do not get approval.