Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Notify us of intended demolition

Notify us of intended demolition and find out more about the demolition process including how to deal with asbestos.

The demolition process

To demolish a building or structure greater than 50m3 you need to notify us. Notification should be made at least six weeks before demolition starts.

This enables all appropriate people and organisations to be advised of the proposed demolition and that measures to safeguard the health and safety of the public are put in place.

Normally, we issue counter notices (demolition permits) within one to two weeks although it can take a maximum of six. If the six weeks has elapsed or you have received your counter notice you can commence work. You can pay for an express service. This guarantees a turnaround within 5 working days. The fee for this service is £200 inclusive of vat.

The counter notice will include a set of conditions and a schedule detailing measures to be taken to ensure that safety issues are addressed.

During the demolition process a Building Control surveyor will visit the site to ensure that conditions are being met and that no unforeseen factors are likely to affect public health and safety.

It is an offence to demolish a building without the necessary notice being given.

Exempt work

No counter notice is required for the following work:

  • a demolition pursuant to an order under the Housing Act 1957
  • demolition of an internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and will continue to be so
  • a building that is less than 50m3 (externally),
  • a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage forming part of a larger building
  • an agricultural building, unless it is adjoining with another building that is non-agricultural

What you need to start work

As well as a signed and completed notice you will need:

  • a plan to a scale not less than 1/1250 showing the boundaries of the site
  • a plan showing the outline of the building or part to be demolished
  • a detailed method statement of how the demolition is to be carried out

Copies of the application should also be sent as appropriate to:

  • the owners of any adjacent buildings
  • the public gas supplier (Transco)
  • the public electricity supplier (Southern Electric)
  • the local water company (Wessex Water or South West Water)
  • Dorset Fire and Rescue Service

If the building is thought to contain asbestos, notification should be given to the Health and Safety Executive.

Notify us of demolition

It is an offence to demolish a building without the necessary notice being given.

Alternative methods to notify us

Download a printable version of the notice of intended demolition form once completed you can submit your form to us.

Further guidance

Further consent for demolition may be required under the Planning Acts.

Find out more about demolition on the Planning Portal.

Data protection

How we comply with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and how you can obtain details of personal information we hold about you.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.