Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

When you need Building Regulations approval from Building Control

You must check if you need approval before you construct or change buildings.

What building regulations are

The building regulations are minimum standards for the design and construction of, or alterations to, virtually every building. They contain a list of requirements providing standards for construction and energy efficiency whilst taking into account the health and safety and needs of building occupants.

They cover all aspects of the build process, including foundations, damp proofing, stability, insulation, ventilation, heating, sanitation, fire protection and means of escape. They also make sure there are adequate facilities in certain types of buildings for people with disabilities.

Types of work covered by building regulations

You may need approval for a variety of projects including:

  • the erection or extension of a building or dwelling
  • installation of a new bathroom, shower or WC involving new waste pipes or underground drainage
  • the conversion of a building that creates one or more extra dwelling units
  • the conversion of more than one unit into fewer units
  • the building of an attached garage
  • the conversion of a loft or other roof space to habitable accommodation
  • removal of load bearing walls or walls which might affect the means of escape
  • garage conversion to habitable room
  • underpinning foundations
  • forming new openings in external walls for extra windows or doors
  • installing replacement windows or substantially glazed doors (more than 50%)
  • installing a heating appliance (for example multi fuel or wood burning stove) or boiler
  • most electrical work

Find out about more projects and if they need building regulations on the Planning Portal.

If you need approval

If you need approval you can either:

If you do not need approval

If you think your work is exempt, but you are not sure, check this page.

Penalties and problems

Find out what happens if you do not get approval.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.