Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Parking restrictions

Introducing new parking restrictions

Please email for further information. 

General restrictions

In areas where parking restrictions are in place, the appropriate restrictions are displayed on a sign, and these restrictions must be adhered to otherwise a driver risks receiving a penalty charge. The only exception is double yellow lines which restrict parking at any time, so no sign is required 

Holders of a valid blue badge are exempt from certain restrictions.

Parking problems

Initially, consideration has to be taken that if the area is not restricted, then drivers are entitled to park where they wish - so long as they park appropriately.

Dealing with obstruction

  • if parked vehicles cause obstruction issues to the flow of moving traffic or pedestrians, on the road or pavement, contact Dorset Police by dialling '101'. They will assess the severity of the obstruction and take action if it is felt to be a priority

  • if parked vehicles cause obstruction issues to your property (for example, if a vehicle is parked directly across a dropped-kerb leading to your private driveway) contact  we may be able to help.  The same also applies to obstruction of dropped kerbs at crossing points in the street

  • if vehicles are parked illegally in an area of restricted parking contact

Access protection markings

Access protection markings are single white lines painted on the tarmac in front of driveways and other accesses. They are unenforceable 'courtesy' markings.

Removal and delivery vehicles

Any responsible removal or delivery company will ensure any disruption during loading or unloading is kept to minimum. Discuss options with them.

  • investigate any practical option for having the vehicle parked off the highway wherever possible
  • active loading/unloading can take place so long as there is no obstruction of the highway and there are no restrictions on loading (yellow blips on the kerb edge)
  • liaise locally with and inform your town or parish council or local neighbourhood policing team
  • it is an offence to block the road so the subject vehicles on narrow roads would need to be moved to allow other vehicles past
  • whilst you could request an official road closure if a vehicle will block the road, this is expensive and we require a lot of notice
  • you could request to hire no-parking cones but without a legal Traffic Order there would be no enforcement rights

On-street pay and display schemes

There are currently no on-street pay and display schemes in Christchurch.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.