Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

On-street parking in Christchurch

BCP Council enforces on-street parking in Christchurch. This includes, enforcement, queries and permit requests.

On-street parking restrictions in operation

View the on-street parking restrictions map

On-street residents parking

Residents parking schemes manage fair parking for residents and non-residents. These areas are marked by signs and markings on the road.

Apply for an on-street disabled parking bay

Please email for further information.

Pay an on-street parking fine

Start now

Apply for an on-street parking permit

BCP Council operates resident parking schemes within Christchurch. There are currently schemes in Avon Buildings, Beaconsfield Rd, Fairfield, Grange Rd, Millhams St/Ducking Stool Lane, Princess Ave, Purewell, Quay Rd, Riverlea Rd, Station Rd/Twynham Ave. You can view the terms and conditions here.

Sign plates show the hours of operation of each scheme/zone. The cost for a 6 month resident permit is £40 and the cost for a 12 month resident permit is £70. Visitor permit costs are £16 for 20, with a 50% discount for residents over the age of 60.

BCP Council will be processing resident and visitor permits online and would like to introduce you to PermitSmarti who will be managing resident permits on behalf of BCP Council. Permits will be virtual and can be applied via the PermitSmarti website which means you will not need to display a paper permit.

If you require Visitor permits, please email allowing 5 working days for processing.

Start now

Introducing new parking restrictions

Please email for further information. 

General restrictions

In areas where parking restrictions are in place, the appropriate restrictions are displayed on a sign, and these restrictions must be adhered to otherwise a driver risks receiving a penalty charge. (* The only exception is double yellow lines which restrict parking at any time, and so commonly, no sign is required.) 

Holders of a valid blue badge are exempt from certain restrictions.

Parking problems

Initially, consideration has to be taken that if the area is not restricted, then drivers are entitled to park where they wish - so long as they park appropriately.

Dealing with obstruction

  • if parked vehicles cause obstruction issues to the flow of moving traffic or pedestrians, on the road or pavement, contact Dorset Police by dialling '101'. They will assess the severity of the obstruction and take action if it is felt to be a priority

  • if parked vehicles cause obstruction issues to your property (for example, if a vehicle is parked directly across a dropped-kerb leading to your private driveway) contact  we may be able to help (although this is not guaranteed in all cases).  The same also applies to obstruction of dropped kerbs at crossing points in the street

  • if vehicles are parked illegally in an area of restricted parking, again, contact

Access protection markings

Access protection markings are single white lines painted on the tarmac in front of driveways and other accesses. They are unenforceable 'courtesy' markings.

Removal and delivery vehicles

Any responsible removal or delivery company will ensure any disruption during loading or unloading is kept to minimum. Discuss options with them.

  • investigate any practical option for having the vehicle parked off the highway wherever possible
  • active loading/unloading can take place so long as there is no obstruction of the highway and there are no restrictions on loading (yellow blips on the kerb edge)
  • liaise locally with and inform your town or parish council or local neighbourhood policing team
  • it is an offence to block the road so the subject vehicles on narrow roads would need to be moved to allow other vehicles past
  • whilst you could request an official road closure if a vehicle will block the road, this is expensive and we require a lot of notice
  • you could request to hire no-parking cones but without a legal Traffic Order there would be no enforcement rights

On-street pay and display schemes

There are currently no on-street pay and display schemes in Christchurch.

Dispensation scheme for tradesmen

In Christchurch, the dispensation scheme allows tradesmen to park close to where they are going to carry out work for an agreed period of time. This scheme is designed specifically to give access to tradesmen when there are no other alternatives for parking. An application form and the terms and conditions can be found here.

You must apply at least 3 days before the start of the works. If the dispensation is approved, you will receive an email advising you to visit the Civic Offices to make payment. You will be issued with a virtual permit once payment is made.


  • full day - £10 for the first day of work - £7.50 for each subsequent day thereafter (per vehicle)


Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.