Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Blue Badge eligibility

Whether you travel as a driver or as a passenger, if you're unable to walk, or struggle to walk far, then you may qualify for a badge.

We use the Department of Transport guidance to manage the scheme on their behalf.

Badges are not issued when a condition is temporary.

Who automatically qualifies?

You won't need to be assessed for a badge if:

  • you receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the Higher Rate of Mobility
  • you receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 8 points or more for 'Moving Around'

  • you're registered blind (severely sight-impaired)

  • you receive a War Pensioners Mobility Supplement

  • you've received a lump sum benefit (within tariff's 1-8) of the Armed/Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme, and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability effecting mobility

  • you're applying on behalf of someone who has a significant cognitive impairment (profound autism, severe learning disabilities, advanced dementia etc.) and it is dangerous for them, or others, to walk long distances

Who else qualifies?

Following an assessment, you may also qualify if:

  • you have a permanent and substantial disability, which means that you are unable to walk, or are unable to walk far, without experiencing extreme difficulty (excessive pain, breathlessness, etc.)

  • you drive a specially adapted vehicle with modifications/adaptations, and have a severe disability in both arms

  • you're applying on behalf of a child under three years old, who has a specific medical condition, which means that they must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment, or always need to be kept near to a vehicle, so that they can be treated, or be quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as hospital

The Department for Transport booklet has more details on eligibility


Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.