Online books and reference resources
Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we have closed all of our libraries across Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole. We also have:
See further information about changes to services.
Ancestry - Temporary Home Access to Ancestry
While libraries are closed, library members can access Ancestry Online from home. To do this, go to the Libraries West and login with your library card. The Ancestry link will then appear, and you can search through thousands of records at home.
Find online resources on these websites:
- British Library webpagecontaining links to freely available internet sites which are known to contain digitised (and some searchable) arts and humanities text
- Project Gutenberg offers over 57,000 free eBooks for you to download or read online
- Explorion for historical travelogues, full texts of classic books, journals of discovery and personal adventures
- Kompassprovides details on companies in the UK and throughout the world. In a library, the full service is available which includes financial information. A more limited service is available from home, use your library card to login at home
Online reference sources
For help getting online or using the resources, please ask your local library staff.
If you have a new BCP library card, access the online reference sources.
For Christchurch and Highcliffe library users who use a former Dorset County Council library card, follow these links:
- Access to Research gives access to a wide range of academic articles and research contained in academic journals and conference proceedings
- Encyclopaedia Britannica provides instant access to the world's most famous and authoritative source of information; to use it, enter your Dorset library card number, for example, 001234567A
- Go Citizen is an online resource for anyone studying for the Life in the UK test or British Citizenship. Study materials are licensed from the Home Office. It can be accessed in libraries and customers need to set up their own account.
- Newsbank Articles from local, national and international newspapers.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography explore the lives of over 55,000 people who have shaped the British past over the last 2,400 years; enter your Dorset library card number, prefaced by DORSET, for example: DORSET001234567A
- Oxford English Dictionary online (OED) is widely acknowledged to be the most authoritative and comprehensive dictionary of English in the world; enter your Dorset library card number, prefaced by DORSET, for example: DORSET001234567A
- Oxford Reference Online is a vast online reference library combining in-depth content offered by titles in the acclaimed Oxford Companions series with authoritative, quick-reference coverage of the full subject spectrum; enter your Dorset library card number, prefaced with DORSET, for example: DORSET001234567A
- Theory Test Pro is an online simulation of the driving theory test including a questions bank and hazard prediction. It is licensed by the Driving Standards Agency. It can be accessed in libraries and customers need to set up there own account.
- Who Else Writes Like? helps you to find new books based on authors you like, subject matter, locations and more. It is available in libraries and at home, where you can login with your library card number.
- Who Next? (Library access) is very similar to Who Else Writes Like? but is for children and young people aged 5 to 14+
- Who Next? (Home access) you will need your library card number to login
- Who's Who contains over 33,000 short biographies, continually updated, of noteworthy and influential individuals, from all walks of life, worldwide; enter your Dorset library card number, prefaced with DORSET, for example: DORSET001234567A
- Oxford Dictionaries is your destination whenever you need language guidance; enter your Dorset library card number, prefaced with DORSET, for example: DORSET001234567A
- Oxford Bibliographies Online is a series of intuitive and easy-to-use "ultimate reading lists", designed to help users navigate vast seas of information
Art and music online resources
- Oxford Music Online: award-winning and the ultimate authority on all aspects of music worldwide, from classical to hip-hop and from baroque to blues; enter your Dorset library card number prefaced by DORSET, for example, DORSET001234567A
- Oxford Art Online: the ultimate authority on all aspects of the visual arts worldwide; from prehistory to the present day; enter your Dorset library card number prefaced by DORSET, for example, DORSET001234567A