Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Documents required for homelessness assistance

If you are homeless you may be asked many questions about your current and past circumstances and to provide documented evidence.

It is in your interests to supply this quickly as it assists us in making the best decision. In order to complete our enquiries we may need details of any or all of the following:

Proof of homelessness

This may include:

  • legally valid Notice to Quit
  • Court Possession Order
  • Bailiff's Warrant
  • documents from your bank or mortgage company
  • a letter from your employer for tied accommodation
  • letter from the people you are living with stating the date on which you must leave

Proof of personal details

These will vary according to individual circumstances but may include:

  • identification for all individuals on the application such as birth certificates, passports or driving licences
  • proof of any pregnancy
  • proof of responsibility for dependent children
  • National Insurance numbers
  • proof of benefits received
  • wage slips and bank statements for the past three months
  • current tenancy agreements
  • proof of all past addresses for the past five years for all individuals applying. This might include utility bills, correspondence and proof of sale of properties
  • proof of all income sources, bills and other outgoings in order to fully investigate financial situations and ability to pay in cases of rent and mortgage arrears
  • if relevant, documents proving you are eligible for assistance, proof of divorce or any other legal documents relevant to an individuals' circumstances
  • proof of any relevant medical conditions from a qualified professional, including details of prescription medication

Proof of local connection

To help determine what duty the council may have to you we may ask you to provide evidence to show that you have a local connection with the area you have approached. We may check Council Tax records, the electoral register and other sources to confirm what you tell us.

False information

If you provide false information you will be committing an offence under Sections 214(2) and (3) of the Housing Act 1996 and may be prosecuted. Also, we may withdraw your application if you fail to provide information or make contact when requested.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.