Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Report poor private rented housing conditions

Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice and guidance

Advice and guidance is available to help support those that are privately renting during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

See further information about changes to services.

Have you contacted your landlord?

In the first instance it is always worth discussing your concerns with your landlord or letting agent to give them the opportunity to carry out the necessary repairs or improvements.

If you are unable to discuss your concerns with your landlord 'face to face' you could also write to them outlining the problems you are experiencing. You could use this sample letter.

Report an issue with your rented house

We will only visit a tenants home if they want us to and after carefully considering all the issues. We also normally have to notify your landlord that we intend to carry out an inspection of your home. If at this visit we find the house poses a risk to your health and safety we will normally work with the landlord to achieve the necessary improvements. It's important to remember that we have to allow a reasonable period of time for these works to be carried out.

Although we will try and do this informally, in some situations we may need to use our enforcement powers to ensure the work is carried out within a reasonable period of time. Our housing enforcement policy explains what landlords and tenants can expect from us and how we will use our powers in a fair and consistent way.

All homes should provide a safe and healthy environment for any potential occupier or visitor. The Housing Act 2004 introduced a risk assessment process called the Housing Health and Safety Rating system that we use to identify housing related hazards. In addition Houses in Multiple Occupation should achieve additional requirements concerning fire safety and amenity provision.

In addition to our risk assessment referred to above, tenants may also take a private action using "The Fitness for Human Habitation Act 2018". It will be for the courts to decide in these cases whether the property is suitable for occupation.

Report an issue with your rented house in Christchurch

Start now

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.