Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Damp, mould and heating advice

Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice and guidance

Advice and guidance is available to help support those that are privately renting during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

See further information about changes to services.

If you think you have a condensation problem see our booklet How to prevent damp, mould and condensation in your home for more information. It is always a good idea to discuss the matter with your landlord or letting agent. The solution to resolving condensation problems often requires effort by both the tenant and landlord. By working together you may be able to find a quick solution.

Keeping warm

All homes should have heating that is controllable by the occupants, safely installed and maintained. It should also be appropriate to the design, layout and construction, so that the whole home can be adequately and efficiently heated.

There is no specific standard for the type of heating a rented home should have and the most common systems are gas fired central heating, electric night storage heaters and electric panel heaters. It's important to understand how to operate your heating system so that you get the most benefit from it, whilst ensuring that it is still as economical to run as possible.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

All residential properties rented from the 1 October 2008 are required to possess an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). You will normally be given a copy before the start of your tenancy. The EPC looks broadly similar to the energy labels provided on many household appliances. The EPC will provide an energy efficiency rating of your property from ‘A’ to ‘G’, where ‘A’ is very efficient and ‘G’ is the least efficient. The better the rating the more energy efficient the building is and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.

From the 1 April 2018 landlords must ensure that their properties reach at least an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of ‘E’ before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants. In other words properties with an ‘F’ or ‘G’ rating shall not be let, unless the landlord can demonstrate that a relevant exemption applies. If you have entered into a new tenancy on or after the 1 April 2018 and believe your property has an EPC rating of ‘F’ or ‘G’ then please contact your local councils Private Sector Housing Team for further information and advice.

These requirements will then apply to all existing private rented properties (even where there has been no change in tenancy arrangements) from 1 April 2020.

To find out more information or to find an EPC for your home please visit the EPC Register website.

Report an EPC issue with your rented house in Christchurch

Start now

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.