Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Premises requiring approval

Approved premises

Under Regulation (EC) No. 853/2004 EC Regulation 852/2004 - hygiene of foodstuffsand 852/2004 EC Regulation 853/2004 - specific hygiene rules for food of animal originfood business establishments may require approval if they intend to handle "products of animal origin" e.g. fresh meat, raw minced meat, raw milk, eggs, shellfish, fish etc. to produce any, or any combination, of the following:

  • minced meat
  • meat preparations
  • mechanically separated meat
  • meat products
  • live Bi Valve Molluscs
  • fishery products
  • raw milk (other than raw cows' milk)
  • dairy products
  • eggs (not primary production)
  • egg products
  • frogs legs and snails
  • rendered animal fats and greaves
  • treated stomachs, bladders and intestines
  • gelatine and collagen
  • certain cold stores
  • certain wholesale markets

If you think your business may require approval we recommend you contact your local authority food and safety team to discuss this at an early stage. There are some exemption to the need for approval which the officers can assess and provide you with clear guidance on whether approval is required and the process.

If your food business requires approval there are a number of requirements that need to be followed. You cannot operate until your food establishment has received a full or conditional approval issued by the authority. There is no fee.

Once application is made and a site visit undertaken officers will assess compliance and issue conditional or full approval. Every approved premises is issued with a unique approval number which must be applied to all products handled in the establishment that are subject to approval.

Apply for or change a food premises approval

You will need to complete our online form to apply for food premises approval or to change a food premises approval.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No, it is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact your local authority food and safety team.

Contact us

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.