Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Applying To Be A School Governor

School governors help to make sure children receive a high standard of education, and achieve their full potential. They work with headteachers to support and improve schools.

There are four kinds of school governors in maintained schools:

  • Elected governors
  • Co-opted governors
  • Foundation governors
  • Local authority governors

If you want to be an elected or co-opted governor, you should apply directly to the school. If you want to be a foundation governor you should apply to the appropriate diocese (this is for church schools), if you want to be a local authority governor, you should apply to us. You’ll be invited to talk about your application with one of our Governor Services representatives, a governor and/or a headteacher.

Governors of academies are appointed by the Academy Trust Members - if you would like to be a governor or Trustee in an academy you should approach the school directly.

Be prepared to explain the skills and attributes you think you could bring to being a governor or Trustee.

Your role as a governor

You’ll be part of a governing body. Each body has between 10 - 21 people. They are responsible for:

  • Agreeing development priorities.
  • Setting targets.
  • Agreeing policies and practice.
  • Agreeing an annual budget.
  • Appointing the headteacher and other senior staff.
  • Developing services to meet a school’s needs as part of the wider community.

Application to become a local authority governor

If you want to be a local authority governor, you may wish to contact to establish if there are any current vacancies before completing the application form.    

Useful information

Local authority governor appointments

Information for prospective governors

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.