Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Trees in conservation areas

About trees in conservation areas

All trees, regardless of species, are protected by the conservation area status as long as the trunk diameter is greater than 75mm when measured at 1.5m above ground level.

A conservation area can be defined as an area of special architectural or historical interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.

If you are planning to carry out work to any tree(s) within a conservation area you will need to give your local planning authority 6 weeks notice of the proposed work.

During the 6 weeks notice we will:

  • consider whether the tree is worthy of a tree preservation order
  • consult the relevant parish council as to whether they have any objection to the proposed work


The map below shows the location of TPOs and Conservation Areas in the Christchurch area of BCP Council only.

Christchurch TPOs and Conservation Areas Map

Where trees are located on a boundary at the edge of a Conservation Area, please contact the Christchurch office on 01202 795164 to confirm if the trees are protected.


The tree preservation data shown is based upon the registers but is not the legal document. We supply this for information purposes only.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the data, which is supplied in good faith, we will not accept any liability sustained as a result of reliance thereon.

Please be aware as well as TPOs and conservation areas, trees can also be protected by planning conditions.


Christchurch area Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) are available for viewing on public access screens at Reception at the Civic Offices, Bridge Street

  • Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5:15 pm
  • Friday: 9am to 4.45pm.

Trees and hedgerows

Find more about conservation areas in trees and hedgerows in Christchurch.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.