Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Tree preservation orders

About TPOs

Trees and hedges are a key element of our countryside, but they also have a major part to play in urban areas.

Trees and hedges in private gardens, parks and other open spaces, or lining the sides of our streets, railways, rivers and canals are of great importance to people, particularly in residential areas. They can also provide valuable habitats for wildlife, improve the air we breathe, and help to conserve energy in nearby buildings.

Trees may be protected by tree preservation orders (TPOs) or other legal procedures to make sure that they are not lost or damaged needlessly. We can issue a TPO for specific trees. Trees that are exempt from TPOs are those that are dead, dying, diseased or dangerous and fruit trees grown for the commercial production of fruit.

TPOs prohibit the cutting down, uprooting, topping, lopping, wilful damage or wilful destruction of trees without the local authority's consent. The maximum penalty for carrying out works to TPO trees without consent is £20,000.


The map below shows the location of TPOs and Conservation Areas in the Christchurch area of BCP Council only. Select a TPO to see a pdf version of the TPO document.

Christchurch TPOs and Conservation Areas Map

  • Bournemouth TPOs
  • Poole TPOs


The tree preservation data shown is based upon the registers but is not the legal document. We supply this for information purposes only.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the data, which is supplied in good faith, we will not accept any liability sustained as a result of reliance thereon.

Please be aware as well as TPOs and conservation areas, trees can also be protected by planning conditions.


Christchurch area Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) are available for viewing on public access screens at Reception at the Civic Offices, Bridge Street:

  • Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5:15 pm
  • Fridays: 9am to 4.45pm

Reporting a problem tree

If you want to report a tree you think is dangerous or need advice on whether a specific tree is covered by a TPO please tell us its location.

Should formal permission be required, there is a statutory procedure for applying to undertake work. In the event of permission being withheld, the applicant has a right of appeal to the Secretary of State. Where consent is granted to fell a protected tree, a condition to plant a replacement will normally apply.

Find out more about tree and hedge management in Christchurch.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.