Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch


Hospital patients

Anyone whose sole or main residence is in a hospital will be disregarded for the purposes of discount. Hospitals can be either civilian or military.

This disregard rests on their actually being a change to a person's sole or main residence.

See connections with Class E exemption.

Patients in homes

Anyone whose sole or main residence is within a care home, nursing home or similar establishment should be disregarded for Council Tax purposes.

The home must be registered with Dorset County Council, and would normally include any of the following:

  • Hostels - including bail hostels, probation hostels that are used for the provision of personal care required due to old age, disablement, past or present alcohol or drug dependence or mental disorder
  • Mental nursing homes
  • Nursing homes (registered under the Registered Homes Act 1984)
  • Residential care homes

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.