Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Driving with a special educational need or disability

If you have SEN and/or a disability, there is a range of support and equipment available to help you:

  • learn to drive

  • drive independently

Your ability to drive could depend on the type and extent of your needs. The  Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will decide whether you can learn to drive. 

How can I find out if I'm able to drive?

You must give details of your SEN and/or disability to the DVLA:

  • when you apply for your driving licence

  • if you develop SEN or a disability and already have a driving licence

The DVLA will then decide if you:

  • need to get a new driving licence

  • can have a shorter licence which is reviewed at the end of the licence period

  • can drive but using a specialist vehicle or with adaptations to your car

  • are unable to drive/must give up your licence

You may have to have an examination or take an assessment before they make the final decision.

Find out more about the conditions for  driving with SEN and/or a disability.

When can I apply for a driving licence and start driving lessons?

You can apply for a provisional driving licence when you are 15 and 9 months old. You can start learning to drive when you are 17 years old.

You can learn with a driving instructor and another adult. They must be over 21 years with at least 3 years driving experience.

Further information

Visit GOV for information on learning to drive.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.