Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Supported internships

Who can do a supported internship?

Supported internships are for young people age 16 - 25 years who have either:

  • a statement
  • an education, health and care (EHC) plan

What does the internship involve?

In most cases the internship will last for a year and includes an unpaid work placement of at least 6 months. This can be with one or more employers.

You will learn new skills through a personalised study plan at an education provider. This could include learning to handle money or interacting with the public. A Job Coach will support you and work with you and your employer.

There are a range of internships available. These include working in a kitchen or selling to the public.
In some cases the employer may offer you a job at the end of the internship.

What will I gain from doing an internship?

It will allow you to:

  • learn specific skills for your work placement
  • gain qualifications such as in Maths and English
  • build experience for your CV
  • develop skills to get paid employment after your internship
  • build your confidence and meet new people

Which education providers offer the programme?

You can complete the programme at:

  • Further Education (FE) Colleges
  • schools with sixth forms
  • schools for young people with SEN
  • independent specialist providers and other providers of the study programmes

Check with the education provider you have an interest in to see what they offer.

Funding during your internship

Support internships are unpaid, but you can apply for an Access to Work grant. This will help to pay for costs associated with your work placement. This could be travel expenses, support workers and specialist equipment.

You will be unable to get job seekers allowance but you can:

Further information

See preparing for adulthood for more information.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.