Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Support for young people in further education (FE) colleges

What FE settings must do for students with SEN

Colleges must follow the SEND Code of Practice: 0 - 25 years. This means they have to:

They must also follow the Equality Act 2010.

Help for young people moving to adulthood

Colleges should help young people to become independent adults. 

They should help students move on to:

  • higher education, for example, university
  • training
  • work 
  • independent living

They should also help them to:

  • look after their health
  • take part in community life

How colleges should support students with SEN

Colleges must organise special educational provision where it's needed. This means any support that's different or extra to what is offered to all students. When special educational provision is made, this is called SEN support.

Education, health and care (EHC) plans in FE

Colleges should review the support they provide regularly. They can request an EHC needs assessment for a young person. They will check with the young person to make sure they're happy for this to happen. 

Young people with an EHC plan have an annual review. The college will usually hold the review on behalf of the local authority. 

Special educational needs coordinators (SENCOs) in FE

Colleges don't have to have a SENCO. They should have a named person who makes sure anyone with SEN gets the help they need. 

Colleges should contact specialists to help support their students with SEN. They do this if the students don't make progress even though they're getting support. 

Colleges should give independent career advice to:

  • all students up to the age of 18
  • 19 to 25 year olds who have EHC plans

Funding for students with SEN in FE

Colleges have:

  • funding to support students with SEN or disability
  • extra funding for high needs students, provided by us; this is usually young people with EHC plans

Colleges can't charge tuition fees for:

  • students aged 16 to 18
  • young people with EHC plans

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.