Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Services to support children and young people with SEND

There are services locally that support children and young people with SEND, their families, their setting or school. 

Parents and carers can access some of these services. There are other services that need a referral from the school, setting or a professional. 

Health services

Find out more about these health services:

Council services

Select the service to find out more information or to contact the service: 

Local council services
Local council services What the service provides
 `Add-On’ register The `Add-On’ register offers a range of benefits to families - a free Max Card
Children who are disabled early help and Social Care Teams Needs assessment, care planning and support for disabled children and their parents or carers to live in their homes and communities.
Portage home visiting service Supports children via home learning and facilitates transition to an early years setting.
The Xchange The Xchange network is for families living in Dorset (excluding Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole) with children and young people who are disabled.

Family Information Service


Provides support, advice and guidance to all families.
The outreach team provide extra support for families with children with SEND who are struggling to find childcare.
Vision Support Service (VSS) and Hearing Support Service (HSS) Help children and young people in their childcare setting, school or setting. Support includes involvement of family and professionals. 
Special Educational Needs Specialist Service (SENSS) Help for mainstream schools to support children and young people in school with specific learning difficulties and those with social communication needs. 
Behaviour Support Service

Support schools, their pupils, parents and governors in the promotion of:

  • positive behavioural, emotional and social development
  • the effective management of problem behaviour
Educational psychologists Build on work already done within the school and with other inclusion services as part of the graduated process for SEN.


Independent services

See the table for independent services. Select the service to find more information or to contact the service:

Independent servicesWhat support the service providesWho can access the service
Home Start Help in the home to young families who are dealing with difficulties like bereavement, illness or depression. Families must have at least one child under the age of 5. Parents or families.
SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) Helps children, young people and families by offering advice, information and support.  Anyone.

National charity that supports families of disabled children. Support includes:

  • free information workshops
  • local information
  • information guides
  • advice
  • opportunities to meet other families
  • resources for professionals
Parents, carers, other family members and professionals.
Parent Carers Together

The voice of parent carers of children and young people with SEND in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole

Anyone can become a member by joining online. 
Global Mediation

Global Mediation provide a disagreement resolution and mediation service for children with SEND.

Parents and families.

Search for services

Search our Family Information Directory for more services locally to support your child.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.