Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Educational Psychologists

Our outcomes

We want adults in schools and other settings to meet the special educational needs (SEN) of all their pupils. To do this, we make sure they have the right skills, capacity and confidence. 

We aim to help children, young people and adults around them to be able to:

  • identify effective solutions for their particular situation and setting
  • put the identified solutions in place

How we work 

We build on the work that has taken place as part of the graduated process for SEN within the school and other inclusion services. 

Every Christchurch local authority school and academy has a named educational psychologist (EP).

We use a consultation model that focuses on working together to:

  • agree clear outcomes and targets to address raised issues
  • plan actions to achieve our outcomes
  • review progress

Within the consultation model we might also:

  • work with a child to clarify their needs and explore their views 
  • carry out observations in a school or setting to explore what works well for a child or group of children
  • observe what might present difficulties to pupils in school and other settings 
  • support staff to develop activities for groups of children within a school
  • provide support to develop systems within a school 

We also support school communities to cope with sad or traumatic events. 

All Christchurch EPs are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). We must adhere to HCPC professional standards and requirements for continuing professional development. 

Training and development

We offer a range of training and development opportunities for staff working with pupils. This includes:

  • training that focuses on particular categories of need
  • training that develops professional practice such as mediation skills
  • staff development support such as specialist supervision or coaching
  • training around meeting the needs of children and young people

How to access the educational psychologist service 

Parents and carers

You can talk to the special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) at your child's school. If your child's needs are complex, the SENCO can talk to you about the possibility of involving an EP. 

Independent schools, local authority schools or academies from another area and other organisations

Contact us on our general enquires number: 

General enquirers for Educational Psychologists

Tel: 01202 456388
Full details for General enquirers for Educational Psychologists

Principal Educational Psychologist & Strategy Lead for SEND

Name: Vanessa Grizzle
Tel: 01202 456183
Full details for Principal Educational Psychologist & Strategy Lead for SEND

Senior Educational Psychologist

Name: Ulla Cheshire
Tel: 01202 456181
Full details for Senior Educational Psychologist

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.