Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Children who are disabled social care

Our outcomes

We work in partnership with children and young people, parents, carers and families to safeguard and promote their wellbeing. This includes:

  • safety
  • health
  • learning and development towards independence and adulthood

How we work

Families can access support, activities and events for children and young people with SEN or disabilities, without needing early help or social care. This includes short break activities.

Early help is the support that happens before social care is needed. You can find out about early help through our Family Partnership Zones.

Needs assessment

We can provide a range of services If the assessment shows your child's needs are eligible.

These services can include specialist short breaks, including those through Direct Payments. 

If you need home aids, equipment or adaptations for children or young people who have physical or learning disabilities, an occupational therapist from Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (BCP) Council will complete an assessment.

We provide these services under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 which we also talk about in your education, health and care (EHC) plan.

Family workers, occupational therapists and social workers work together across Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole to provide the right level of support for families. 

Children's social care teams

Children's social care teams provide a statutory social work service to children in need and their families. Not every family with a disabled child needs a social worker. Social workers normally focus on children with severe or profound disabilities who often live in difficult or challenging circumstances where they are at risk of harm, or post a risk to themselves or others.

Social workers have legal child protection duties and work with looked after children (children in care) and their families, but they also work proactively to help prevent difficulties starting or repeating. 

All the children's social care teams work closely with other professionals and agencies, including early years education providers, schools and health services or other community-based professionals. 

Who to contact for support

Contact the BCP MASH (Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub) if you need support or if you have concerns about a child.

BCP MASH (Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub)

Tel: 01202 735046
Full details for BCP MASH (Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub)


Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.