Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Behaviour Support Service

Schools in Christchurch are able to buy in the Behaviour Support Service from Dorset Council

As a service, it can offer:

  • advice, support and training in promoting positive behavioural, emotional and social development, supporting social, emotional and mental health (SEMH) needs and effective behaviour management. 
  • training, advice and sharing good practice in promoting an ethos that encourages positive SEMH, including recognition of the link between good teaching and learning and an emotionally healthy school where pupils are able to achieve
  • support with identifying pupils with SEMH, assessing them and making sure there's a multi-agency approach response and building capacity in school
  • where appropriate, identifying and supporting the needs of children and young people and monitoring and evaluating school interventions
  • facilitation, where appropriate, of referral for further assessment or involvement of other professionals and access to support through a multi-agency approach
  • support and advice for the education, health and care plan (EHCP) process
  • support for identification of pupils at risk of exclusion and support for reintegration of those who've been excluded

Settings the service can work in

Generally the service works within the school setting. The services makes home visits and gives advice to parents and carers as part of its initial assessment process for primary school age children, as well as for older children and young people where it's needed.

Accessing the service

Requests for advice and involvement are normally received from schools.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.