Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Asking For An Education Health & Care Plan

If your child or young person is in education and under 25 years old you can ask us to assess them. We’ll let you know whether we’ll go ahead with the assessment within six weeks of your request.

Have a look at the 'EHCP needs assessment for schools' form to see what kind of information we need from your child's nursery, school or college before we can do an assessment.

Who can ask for an assessment?

  • You
  • Anyone at your child’s nursery, school or college (this is the fastest way to start a request)
  • A doctor
  • A health visitor
  • Any other health professional that is supporting your child or young person

If we agree that an assessment would be helpful, we’ll ask you to write to us explaining your child’s or young person's needs and to include any school, nursery or childminders reports and an assessment from the medical professionals involved in your child’s or young person's care.

You’ll find out from us within 16 weeks whether we feel your child or young person needs an EHCP.  Have a look at our EHCP timeline to see what’s involved and how long each stage takes.

If your request is refused

If we don’t think an EHCP is the best option but you disagree you can appeal. You can also appeal if you’ve asked us to review an EHCP and we didn’t feel that any changes to the plan were needed, or if you disagree with the outcome of the review.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.