Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

What you need to do

You need to let us know if your child is receiving private fostering. 

We have a duty to safeguard the wellbeing of all children in our area, as laid out by The Children's Act 1989. This means that we need to know of any situation where someone other than a relative cares for children.

By law, you must tell us about any private fostering situations. We need to know because private fostering arrangements that remain hidden can leave some children vulnerable. If we know, we can offer a range of support for both private foster carers and parents.

What you need to do

If you’re involved in, or know of a  private fostering arrangement, you need to contact children’s services within the following timescales:

  • if the child is not yet living with the private foster carer, children’s services should be informed 6 weeks beforehand
  • if the child is moving in less than 6 weeks or is already living with private foster carers, children's services should be informed immediately

What we need to do

We will work together with the child, the parents and the private foster carers to make sure that the best possible arrangements are in place.

Our responsibilities include:

  • listening to the child's wishes and feelings
  • arranging for a social worker to visit the private foster carers and the child
  • assessing the suitability of the private fostering arrangement
  • making sure that the child's cultural, linguistic and religious needs are being met
  • offering advice and support to the child, their parent(s) and private foster carers

If we think that the arrangement isn’t working, we’ll work with you to safeguard the child's welfare. This usually involves providing support to the carers and parents.

Tell us about a private fostering arrangement if you are a language school, college or agent in Bournemouth or Dorset.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.