Early Years Pupil Premium
Parents of eligible children can claim extra funding through the Early Years Pupil Premium to support their child’s development, learning and care.
What is the Early Years Pupil Premium?
It is additional funding provided from the Government to support three and four year olds early education.
If your child is eligible, your childcare setting (nursery, pre-school, nursery class or registered childminder) can claim up to £300 a year to support your child’s individual learning.
Is my child eligible?
You may apply for Early Years Pupil Premium if your child is aged three or four years old, is receiving early education funding at a nursery, pre-school or with a registered childminder and you receive one or more of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for 4 weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - For places starting in the summer term of 2018 (on or after 1st April 2018), or any subsequent term. If a parent is entitled to Universal Credit they must have an annual net earned income equivalent to and not exceeding £15,400, assessed on up to three of the parent’s most recent Universal Credit assessment periods.
Or your child:
- Is in Local Authority care
- Was adopted from care in England or Wales
- Has left care under a special guardianship order or residence order in England or Wales
How will the funding help my child?
Your nursery, pre-school or childminder will work together with you to carefully consider the learning and development needs of your child and use the additional funding to support them with the following areas:
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
When Ofsted inspect your childcare setting they will check to see that the Early Years Pupil Premium funding is helping your child to learn and develop and get ready for school.
High quality early education can influence how well a child does at both primary and secondary school. Therefore, we do want to make the most of this additional funding.
How can I apply?
There are several ways that you can apply for the funding.
By using our online checker.
To do this you will need the following details:
- Your own name and date of birth
- Contact details
- National Insurance Number or National Asylum Seekers Number
- Child’s name and date of birth
If your application is successful, you will be sent a unique reference number which you should give to your chosen childcare provider to enable them to claim the funding for your child.
Alternatively, you can speak directly to your childcare provider or contact your Children’s or Family Information Service. They will be able to check if you can claim.
For further information or assistance
Please contact the Early Education Funding Team on: 01202 456231 or at email@example.com
Read our privacy notice to find out what happens to your information when you claim Early Education Funding.