Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Early Education Funding For Two Year Olds

Two Year Old Funding covers up to 15 hours of childcare a week and can be used at local nurseries, pre-schools and childminders to suit your child’s individual needs.

Two-year-olds are eligible for 15 hours of early education funding, if you claim one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit and an annual net earned income equivalent to and not exceeding £15,400, assessed on up to three of your most recent Universal Credit assessment periods
  • Tax credits and an annual income of under £16,190 before tax
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)

A child can also get Two Year Old funding if any of the following apply:

  • They are looked after by a local council
  • They have a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • They get Disability Living Allowance
  • They have left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order

When can I start to claim funding if my child is eligible?

Funding can start from the term following the child's 2nd birthday.

Funding can start from the term following the child's 2nd birthday
Child's Birthday When Funding Can Start 
1 January - 31 March summer term (1 April)
1 April - 31 August autumn term (1 September)
1 September - 31 December spring term (1 January)

How to claim funding

See if you can claim by using our online checker. You will need the following information:

  • Your own name and date of birth
  • Contact details
  • National Insurance number or national Asylum Seekers Number
  • Child's name and date of birth

If your application is successful

You will be sent a unique reference number which you should give to your chosen childcare provider to enable them to claim the funding for your child.

For further information on early education funding and for help finding childcare, please contact your Children's or Family Information Service or your local Children's Centre.

Privacy notice

Read our privacy notice to find out what happens to your information when you claim Early Education Funding.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.