Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Early Education Funding For Three And Four Year Olds

Early Education Funding is available for all three and four year olds and some two year olds. This funding can help pay your fees for childcare at local pre-schools, day nurseries or registered childminders. It is paid directly to the childcare provider by the Early Years Service. 

The Government funding covers up to 15 hours of high-quality childcare. Your childcare provider may still charge for meals, snacks and consumables, such as nappies or sun cream. They may also charge for additional specialist services, clubs and trips. 

How to claim funding

  • Your childcare provider will give you a ‘Parent/Carer' Declaration Form’ to complete and return to them
  • Your childcare provider claims Early Education Funding on behalf of your child

What you can claim

  • 570 hours of early education per year
  • Up to 15 hours of funding within any one week
  • Maximum of 10 hours in any single day

If your childcare provider is open for more than 38 weeks (term time) per year, you may be able to spread your funded hours over the whole year. This means that you will be claiming less than the 15 hours per week but for more weeks of the year. This is referred to as the ‘stretched offer’.

Funding can be split between a maximum of two childcare providers in a single day.

When can I start to claim funding if my child is eligible?

Funding can start from the term following the child's 3rd birthday.

Funding can start from the term following the child's 3rd birthday
Child's Birthday When Funding Can Start
1 January - 31 March summer term
1 April - 31 August autumn term
1 September - 31 December spring term

All 3 and 4-year-old children are entitled to up to 6 terms of Early Education Funding, commencing in the term following their third birthday.

Parents can negotiate to access this entitlement, which amounts to up to 570 hours each year, flexibly.

Some two year olds have a similar annual entitlement and those families who meet the new '30 hour' childcare offer can increase this entitlement for their three and four year olds to 1140 hours. This too can be accessed flexibly.

Children due to start school in September

Early Education Funding ceases on 1 September when a child enters the reception class of a school or academy.

Schools receive funding from 1 September and are legally obliged to provide an education for children from the first day of term.  Although, the school are free to make other arrangements with the parents’ consent.

For example, some schools operate a phased entry where children’s first day may start after their enrolment at the school. The Local Authority will not award Early Education Funding for a phased entry period, therefore, any issues regarding phased entry must be directed to the school.   

Parents who choose to access a childcare place for the periods of time their child is not in school, will need to pay the full costs of that place to their childcare provider. This is because their child’s entire funding entitlement for a full-time place is being received directly by the school or academy.

What you pay

You have to pay for any hours your child attends over and above the number of funded hours per week.

Additional services such as meals, snacks, drinks and trips, and extra activities such as music and dance etc are not covered by early education funding, and the childcare provider may charge you for these.

At the beginning of each new term, the childcare provider should tell you about any charges that may be incurred, enabling you to make an informed choice as to whether the childcare provider is right for you and your child.

If your child attends a childcare provider outside of your Local Authority area the funding will be paid by the Local Authority where your child attends. 

Moving childcare provider

You can move your child from one childcare provider to another, as long as you give the original childcare provider their required amount of notice (up to four calendar weeks for early education funding, please check your contract). If you are unable to do so then this may affect the early education funding at a new childcare setting.

Non attendance 

If a child doesn't attend their early education places regularly, funding may be withdrawn. If you sign a Parent/Carer Declaration form with a provider but do not turn up, you may lose up to four calendar weeks of funded hours.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.