Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Mental Health Act Assessment

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find the latest information and advice about our services for vulnerable adults in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

See further information about changes to services.

When will an assessment be appropriate?

  • Don’t request an assessment if there is an immediate risk of significant harm, dial 999 and ask for the Police or Ambulance.
  • An assessment will require some element of significant risk. Acting differently is not risky. There will be specific and identifiable risks of harm to themselves or to others.
  • Other options will have been tried first e.g. an appointment with G.P., management of risk through the Crisis Team, attendance at the Retreat, assessment by CMHT.
  • There will be evidence of some kind of mental disorder, diagnosed or undiagnosed. Unusual beliefs or unwise decisions are not (necessarily) evidence of a mental disorder.

Assessments requests are passed to the AMHP Hub from:


The AMHP Hub

Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole AMHP Hub are part of Statutory Services within Adult Social Care Services. They are a team of Approved Mental Health Professionals (AMHPs). 

What does the Hub do?

  • Risk assess and triage all requests for Mental Health Act assessments.
  • Link with relatives, carers and other professionals involved in a person’s care.
  • Ensure that all least restrictive options have been considered.
  • Identify known risks to the person and to professionals in the assessing team.
  • Co-ordinate and undertake assessments under the Mental Health Act.
  • We make arrangements for informal and formal admission to hospital
  • We make arrangements for alternatives to admission
  • We undertake identification of Nearest Relatives
  • We act as a resource to other professionals

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.