Emergency local assistance fund
The fund is for situations in which individuals or families face an immediate risk to their health and safety and all other avenues of support have been exhausted.
Only those facing specific circumstances will be eligible:
- fleeing a situation of domestic violence
- recently left institutionalised care
- exceptional pressure (for example, victim of a non preventable disaster - house fire, flood)
- age 18 +
- Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole resident
- not subject to immigration controls
- not a current resident of a care home or hospital inpatient
- not be a prisoner/person lawfully detained or on release under temporary license
Categories covered include:
- furniture and white goods
- living essentials like clothes and food
- travel, such as fleeing domestic violence or visiting sick relatives
- emergency utilities
Furniture and white goods will be provided by Dorset Reclaim who will contact you within 48 hours to arrange provision of the items.
Food and household items will be provided through a delivered hamper by East Boro Housing Trust within 48 hours.
Clothing or utilities are provided through payment cards distributed by BCP Council for you to purchase yourself. You will be contacted within 48 hours.
Some applicants may be provided with a pre-paid card by a company called All Pay. The card will be loaded with the approved value and the card is posted to the claimant with a letter on how to use it and a unique PIN. The applicant is given 21 days to spend it. Any amount left on the card after that date is swiped off the card and recovered. The council are able to see online the amount spent per card. Cards cannot be exchanged for cash.
The process is:
Applications are only accepted via telephone.
Telephone number: 01202 454979
Opening hours: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Applicant should call the telephone line and their application will be screened for eligibility. If not eligible, other possible support options will be signposted. If eligible the applicant will be advised what they are eligible for and when they can expect to be contacted to further the claim.
Applications will be assessed against strict eligibility criteria. The applicant must be aged 18 and over, and a resident of Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole.