Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Taxi and private hire licences

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we have suspended new driver applications and medicals, current licences will be extended by 6 months. 

See further information about changes to services.

Hackney carriage (taxi) licence

To drive a taxi, you will need:

  • a taxi driver's licence
  • a vehicle licence

Hackney carriages (taxis) can work from various ranks in Christchurch and can also be hailed in the street. The vehicles are black with a white stripe down each side that contains the word Christchurch. They have a roof sign and a blue plate on the back of their vehicles.

Each hackney carriage must be fitted with a taximeter, which is calibrated to show the fare to be charged. Fares are controlled by the council and it is against the law to charge more than is displayed on a meter.

Private hire vehicle licence

Any vehicle that seats up to 8 passengers and is available for hire with a driver requires a private hire vehicle (PHV) licence. It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to apply for a licence.

To drive a private hire vehicle, you will need:

  • a private hire vehicle driver's licence
  • a vehicle licence

Private hire vehicles are only available by prior booking through a private hire office and are not allowed to be hailed in the street or to operate from taxi ranks. These vehicles have a green plate on the back.

The council does not control fares for private hire cars. The cost of a journey is agreed between the operator and the customer.

Private hire operator licence

If you want to accept private hire bookings you will need a private hire operator licence.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.