Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Tattoo, piercing and electrolysis licence

If you offer tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing, electrolysis or acupuncture you must be registered with your local council.

Once registered, you will be issued with a certificate of registration. If you work from premises, they must also be registered.

The purpose of registration is to ensure that basic health and safety and infection control standards are maintained in any premises where these activities are carried out.

Registration requires a fee to be paid.

Summary of regulations

The regulations applicable to this registration are the Local Government (Misc Provisions) Act 1982 and relevant local by-laws.

Registered tattoo studios

View a list of tattoo studios registered with Christchurch Council.

Part VIII of The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 governs the registration of cosmetic piercers (etc.)

Which license do I need?

  • You need personal registration to run a business in cosmetic piercing, electrolysis, tattooing and acupuncture.  This includes treating people in their own homes or renting a premises that is already registered.
  • You need to apply for a premises registration and personal registration if you are registering a business as the sole proprietor.


View Tattooing and Body Piercing guidance toolkit.

Applying for a licence

The fee is £100.00. To apply, please complete the online application form.

When we get your application, an officer from our Public Safety team will visit you at your premises.

You may find it helpful to invite the officer to your premises at an early stage. You’ll have a chance to show them what you are planning. That way, you can avoid last minute alterations or additions and keep within budget.

More guidance

You can find advice and safe practice guidance for tattoo and piercing artists.

Sterilisation and cleanliness is crucial. We want to make sure that all businesses in the BCP area have clean and safe premises.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.