Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Scrap metal and motor salvage licence

If you run a business that buys or sells scrap metal or are a motor salvage operator then you must be licensed with the local authority.

The legislation concerning Scrap Metal Dealers and Motor Salvage Operators is the Scrap Metals Dealers Act 2013.

There are two different types of scrap metal licence:

Site licence

If you have a site or premises where metal is stored you will need to apply for a site licence, which allows the licence holder to carry on business at any site in the council's area.

Collector's licence

If you do not store scrap metal and work as a mobile (door-to-door) collector, you will need to apply for a collector's licence.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.