Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Temporary event notice

A temporary event on unlicensed premises is where there will be fewer than 500 people at all times (including staff) which lasts no more than 168 hours (7 days) and includes one or more of the following licensable activities:

  • sale of alcohol
  • serves alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing regulated entertainment (such as music, dancing, or indoor sporting events)
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

A temporary event on premises already holding a premises licence or a club premises certificate can be used if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, for example providing live music or extending the hours for the sale of alcohol. The event must still be for fewer than 500 people at all times (including staff) and last no more than 168 hours (7 days).

The process of applying is formally known as 'serving' a Temporary Event Notice. You must be at least 18 to apply for a TEN.

Number of notices you can serve

You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can serve up to 5 TENs a year. If you have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can serve up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can have up to 15 TENs in one year, as long as the total length of all the events taken together is not more than 21 days.

If you're organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them.

Serving notice

You must give notice at least 10 clear working days before you event (see the Late TEN section below).

Clear working days do not include the day we receive your application, or the day of the event.

You will have to pay a fee of £21.

You must send a copy of the TEN to the police and environmental health at least 10 working days before the event. If you apply online, we will contact the police and environmental health for you.

You can only serve a TEN as an individual, not as an organisation.

Late TENs

You are normally required to give at least 10 clear working days notice of the event, but on a limited number of occasions you can apply for a "late TEN" 5 clear working days before the event (but not earlier than 9 clear working days).

If you don't hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.

If a late TEN is objected to by the police or environmental health, there is no right of appeal and you will not be able to hold the event.

If there are less than 5 clear working days until the event you are unable to serve notice and the activity requiring the TEN will not be able to take place.


Temporary event notices cost £21.

The replacement of a temporary event notice due to theft or loss costs £10.50.

Making an application

Apply online

You can complete the TEN and pay the £21 fee online. You will need to register before you can do so. If you have previously registered with us then you will need to contact us for an activation code. If you apply online we will notify the police and environmental health of the TEN.

Apply for a temporary event notice online

By post

Download the form and either post or hand deliver the completed form to BCP Council. You can either include a cheque for the £21 fee payable to BCP Council, or contact us and pay over the telephone on 01202 454957 using a credit or debit card.

Apply by post for a temporary event notice

Remember to send a copy to Dorset Police and environmental health:

Licensing Officer
Licensing Department
Poole Police Station
Wimborne Road
BH15 2BP

Or email


We can't refuse a notice unless the police or environmental health object to it. They must do this within 3 working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there's an objection, our licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a 'hearing') no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn't needed).

At the hearing, the committee will approve, add conditions, or reject the notice.

If the police or environmental health objects to a late TEN, the notice won't be valid and you can't hold the event. There is no appeal process.


If you disagree with the licensing committee's decision, you can appeal to your local magistrate's court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Displaying your notice

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held. You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

A copy of the TEN can be obtained in the event you have lost the original upon payment of a £10.50 fee.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined if you make any false statement in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

If you don't have a TEN and carry out an activity that you should have a licence for (or allow your premises to be used for one) you can be fined, sent to prison for up to 6 months, or both.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.