Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch


Children in Entertainment

Working in the entertainment can be a rewarding and valuable experience for children.

Child Performance licence

A performance licence is required if the child will be absent from school, they have (or will have) performed for more than 4 days in a 6-month period or they will be paid.  This includes theatre performances, filming & TV work, modelling and paid sporting activities.

The application for a performance licence must be completed by the person responsible for the production.  Please be aware that requests for a performance licence with less than 5 days’ notice may not be processed.

If you would like to apply for a performance licence, please contact the Child Employment & Performance Officer:

Body of Persons Approval (BOPA)

A BOPA allows groups and organisations to have one licence for all the children involved in a performance.  It can be applied for if the performance would usually fall under the child performance regulations, providing that the children taking part will not miss any school for performances and rehearsals and will not be paid.

A BOPA will only be issued if the Local Authority is satisfied that the group has rigorous safeguarding policies in place and all chaperones must have an Enhanced DBS check for the Child Workforce.

It is the responsibility of the organiser to apply for a BOPA to the Local Authority where the performance is taking place.

If you would like to apply for a Body of Persons, please contact the Child Employment & Performance Officer:

Children Performing Abroad

If a child is performing abroad, a licence cannot be granted by the Local Authority.  An application for a licence must be made to the magistrate’s court where the child lives.

Documents to download:


Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.