Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Busking licence

When you need a licence

Busking is not usually considered a licensable activity under the Licensing Act 2003 but you may need a licence if you are holding an event where buskers are the main attraction.

If you want to sell any goods, such as CDs and merchandise, you will need a street trading licence.

You don't need a licence for unamplified live music between the hours of 8am and 11pm.

Getting permission from the landowner

You must get permission from the landowner to busk. This could be:

  • the highways authority (to busk on public highway)
  • the town council
  • a private landowner

What you need to consider

Busking is not illegal but you should ensure you are:

  • not making too much noise

  • not blocking public highways (footpaths, pavements, open pedestrian areas)

  • not displaying notices asking for payment

  • not using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or written material

Children under 14 aren’t allowed to busk.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.