Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Pleasure boat licence

You must have a boat licence for the operation of pleasure boats for hire to members of the public, or to be used for carrying passengers for hire.

This type of licence is required for sailboards, rowing boats, canoes, motor boats, pedalos and larger boats or ferries carrying less than 12 passengers.

Licences may be subject to a fee and conditions may be attached to a licence.

View a summary of the regulations relating to this licence.

Apply for a licence

If you can't apply online, you can download and complete the application form which must be accompanied by:

  • the licence fee
  • a certificate of suitability and a public liability insurance certificate

Apply for a licence

You can apply for a pleasure boat licence, or change or renew an existing one on

Tacit consent

Tacit consent doesn't apply to this licence. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from your local authority within 28 days, please contact them.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.