Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Zoo licence

If you want to operate a zoo, that is keep wild animals for exhibiting to the public, you will need a licence from your local council.

The licence may be subject to fees and conditions to ensure the proper conduct of the zoo.

The regulation applicable to this licence is The Zoo Licensing Act 1981.

Giving notice of an application

Before you can apply for a licence, you must give your local council at least two months notice (in writing, including by electronic means) of your intention to make the application and advertise that notice.

The notice must identify:

  • the zoo's location
  • the types of animals and approximate number of each group kept for exhibition on the premises and the arrangements for their accommodation, maintenance and wellbeing
  • the approximate numbers and categories of staff to be employed in the zoo
  • the approximate number of visitors and motor vehicles for which accommodation is to be provided 
  • the approximate number and position of access to be provided to the premises
  • how required conservation measures will be implemented at the zoo


At least two months before making the application, the applicant must also publish notice of that intention in one local newspaper and one national newspaper and exhibit a copy of that notice. The notice must identify the location of the zoo and state that the application notice to the local authority is available to be inspected at the local authority offices.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.