Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Dangerous wild animals licence

If you want to keep a dangerous wild animal you need a licence, which you must get before buying the animal.

This does not apply to circuses, zoos or pet shops.


The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976regulates the keeping of dangerous wild animals.

Animals mentioned in the act include:

  • wild boar
  • emu
  • ostrich
  • venomous snakes
  • capuchin monkeys

Check the list of dangerous animals if you are not sure if you need a licence.

The application process

We will check that:

  • you are a suitable owner
  • the location of the accommodation meets the required standards
  • the care for the animal meets the required standards
  • there is no safety risk

If granted, the licence will need annual renewal and a fee is payable. As well as the licence fee, the applicant may also have extra vets fees to pay.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent doesn't apply to this licence. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from your local council within a reasonable period, please contact them.

Refused applications

Please contact your local council in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates court.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.