Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Animal welfare licence

Animal activity licences have new nationally-set conditions for businesses providing animal-related services, which are included in the DEFRA Guides below. We cannot change these conditions as they are set in the legislation. Businesses operating with these activities will need to comply with the new conditions, and will be assessed before the license is granted to make sure they can meet them.

Dangerous wild animal licences and zoo licences are not altered by the new regulations.

Read the Procedural Guidance for Animal Activity Licensing 2018issued to local authorities.

Apply for a licence

Apply for an animal welfare licence online.


Christchurch Borough Council licence fees
Type of licenceCost

**Boarding in kennels for dogs


**Home boarding for dogs


**Providing day care for dogs


Selling animals as pets


Keeping or training animals for exhibition


Breeding dogs


Hiring out horses

£352 + vets fee

**Providing boarding for cats


*Plus veterinary fee, as charged, for new applications

** Multiple activities – highest fee charged

Contact us

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.