Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Getting married in Christchurch

Our friendly and experienced registrars are here to help create a unique and special wedding ceremony just for you. Follow these simple steps to your perfect ceremony.

1. Choose your venue

There are 3 types of venue to choose from in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole:

Licensed venues

Venues licensed for civil ceremonies include a castle, country houses and tourist attractions. You will need to book the venue and registrars separately.

The register office

The Register Office for Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole is located at the BCP Council offices, Town Hall, Bourne Avenue, BH2 6DY 

You can book your ceremony directly with us.  There are other Ceremony rooms available at Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole registration offices.

Ceremony rooms in Christchurch

You can book the Council Chamber in Christchurch directly with us, it is suitable for larger ceremonies.

However there are also a variety of rooms available across Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole for different sized ceremonies.


  • Suitable for 100 guests
  • Nearby pay and Display parking
  • Disabled access 
  • Nearby communal gardens 


Christchurch Council Chamber

Bridge Street


BH23 1AZ

Search for a wedding venue

Browse the Register of licensed wedding venues and ceremony rooms within the BCP area.

2. Book your registrars

Register office and ceremony rooms

If you book the register office or a council ceremony room, both registrars fees and the room hire are included in the cost.

Licensed venues

You'll need to ensure a registrar is available for your ceremony.  Once you have provisionally booked your venue, please contact us if you need to confirm a registrar.

Contact us to book the registrars for your ceremony. 

View fees for our registrars to attend a licensed venue.

3. Give notice of marriage or civil partnership

By law, you must give notice in person at a register office before your marriage can take place. Notice of marriage can be given up to 12 months before your wedding and a minimum of 28 clear days before. 

Notices of Marriage or Civil Partnership in Christchurch can be given at any of the below:

  • Town Hall, Bourne Avenue, Bournemouth BH2 6DY
  • Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Christchurch, BH23 1AZ
  • The Guildhall, Market St, Poole BH15 1NF
  • Call us on 01202 633744

It costs £35 per person to give notice of marriage or civil partnership. 

See the information about giving notice of marriage or civil partnership including documents you'll need to take with you and information for foreign nationals.​

If you live outside of Bournemouth, Christhurch and poole

You must give notice of marriage or civil partnership at your local register office.

Please note that the rest of Dorset is not within the BCP Registration Service area.

4. Plan and pay for your ceremony

Every ceremony is unique and our experienced registrars will help you to experience a ceremony that's completely personal to you. You can choose your readings and music, write your own personal promises, include your children or other family members in the ceremony and even have a themed wedding. We can discuss all of this at your ceremony appointment.

Contact us to book a ceremony appointment.

Ceremony costs

Licensed venues set their own charges and you should discuss payment with them. 

View the register office and ceremony room fees.

You also need to pay for:

  • notice of marriage, payable to your local register office
  • your marriage certificates 

We will take payment at your ceremony appointment or you can pay over the phone.

To discuss your ceremony Contact our Bournemouth office:

Email us

01202 451510



Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.