What to do after someone dies
There are 3 things you must do in the first few days after someone dies.
- Get the medical certificate from a GP or hospital doctor. If the coroner has been informed these details will be sent to the registrar.
- You must register the death within 5 days. You'll then get the documents you need for the funeral.
- Arrange the funeral - You must register the death before you can arrange the funeral.
Tell Us Once service
Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations government departments and local council services in one go.
Organisations Tell Us Once will contact
- Department for Work and Pensions
- HM Revenue and Customs
- Child Benefit
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
- Personal Taxation
- Identity and Passport Service
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
- Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
Before you use Tell Us Once
You'll need the following details of the person who died:
- date of birth
- National Insurance number
- driving licence number
- vehicle registration number
- passport number
- death certificate
We may also ask you for information about:
- any benefits or entitlements they were getting, for example State Pension
- their next of kin
- any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
- the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their 'executor' or 'administrator'
- any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying in to
You need permission from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the person who died, before you give their details.
Book an appointment
You can choose one of our offices for your appointment:
- Town Hall, Bourne Avenue, Bournemouth BH2 6DY
- Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Christchurch, BH23 1AZ
- The Guildhall, 8 Market St, Poole BH15 1NF
You can make an appointment to register a death and use the Tell Us Once service in the same visit but you can also use the Tell Us Once service after registering a death.
Book an appointment
You can book an appointment online for Poole. For Christchurch and Bournemouth call 01202 633 744
Find out more information about the Tell Us Once service on Gov.uk.