Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Register a death

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we have introduced stricter limits on informants to contain the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Until further notice death registrations will be conducted by telephone.

See further information about changes to services.

You should register the death within 5 days unless the coroner has requested a post mortem or an inquest.

Where to register the death

You can choose one of our offices for your appointment:

  • Town Hall, Bourne Avenue, Bournemouth BH2 6DY
  • Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Christchurch, BH23 1AZ 
  • The Guildhall, 8 Market St, Poole BH15 1NF
  • Tel: 01202 633744 or online

Who should register the death

A relative should register the death.

If a relative can't register the death, you can do it if you:

  • were there at the time of death
  • are a senior administrator from the hospital (if the person died in hospital)
  • are the manager of the care home where the person died
  • are the occupier of the building where the person died
  • are in charge of making funeral arrangements

Book an appointment

Contact us to book an appointment to register a death.

Make an appointment

You can book an appointment using our online registration system or by calling 01202 633 744.

What to bring to the appointment

Bring the medical certificate showing the cause of death (signed by a doctor) with you.

If the coroner has ordered a post-mortem these details will be sent to the registrar.

To make sure we have the correct information, we recommend you bring the person's:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • proof of address (e.g. utility bill)
  • medical card or NHS number
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)

You should also take supporting documents that show your name and address (e.g. a utility bill) but you can still register a death without them.

You'll need to tell the registrar:

  • the person's full name at the time of death
  • any names previously used, eg maiden name
  • the person's date and place of birth
  • their last address
  • their occupation
  • the full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving or late spouse or civil partner
  • whether they were getting a State Pension or any other benefits

Tell Us Once service

We can notify government departments and local councils about the death for you through our Tell Us Once service. This includes those dealing with state benefits, housing/council tax benefits, passports and driving licences. Find out more about Tell Us Once and what documents you'll need to bring to use the Tell Us Once service

Documents you'll be given at the appointment

When you register a death you'll get:

  • Certificate for Burial or Cremation (green form) which allows the funeral to go ahead
  • a Certificate of Registration of Death (form BD8) - you may need to fill this out and return it if the person was getting a State Pension or benefits
  • you can also buy copies of the death certificate, which you will need for dealing with bank accounts, savings accounts, investments and private pensions. These cost £11.00 each at the appointment but you can buy more copies of the Death Certificate later

If the death occurred outside of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

You should register the death in the district where it occurred. If this is not convenient, you can still make an appointment at our register office, where you can make a 'declaration'. We'll send the details to the district where the death occurred and the death will be registered there. They'll send you the green form, BD8 form and death certificates. This process takes longer and may delay the funeral.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.